Recently, my friend shared with me that she made yogurt from our favorite probiotic capsules. I have tried Instant-Pot yogurt a few times with yogurt cultures/starters and various milks. I haven’t had a successful batch until this recipe.
My friend shared her Instant Pot yogurt method with me, and I made a few adaptations just to make sure the probiotics would survive/thrive. I am blogging it now to share with you (and to have it for my future use). It is a 2 ingredient, very little hands-on effort recipe.
My kids eat yogurt every morning and we purchase 2 tubs per week. That adds up quite quickly. I love knowing the exact ingredients, that I’m reducing plastic consumption, and saving some money. The other thing that is a super bonus for me is knowing the probiotic strains I’m eating. I love Young Living’s Life 9 probiotic, and knowing it has multiplied and thrived in the yogurt means this is a super probiotic-rich gut boost!
One of my pet-peeves is a long blog prior to a recipe, lol. So, without further ado—
Instant Pot Yogurt Recipe
Instant Pot (I used 6 quart)
Large jar for storage
4 Life 9 Probiotic capsules (or yogurt cultures, although I haven’t had the same success with other methods of culturing)
1/2 Gallon Grassfed Milk (2% works well too)
- Start with a clean Instant Pot, free of residue.
- Pour milk into the Instant Pot, close and lock the lid. Select Yogurt setting, then adjust pressure setting to boil. When the boil setting is complete, it will click back to yogurt.
- Carefully remove Instant Pot lid, being careful not to drop any condensation that has accumulated on the lid into the milk. I remove it carefully with the tea towel, catching any condensation.
- Check temperature of milk, making sure it has reached 180 degrees. Carefully, remove inner pot and sit in an ice water bath to chill the milk to 80-110 degrees. I did this in my sink.
- Set aside 1 cup of cooled milk. In a medium bowl, empty probiotic capsules, add cool milk and whisk until combined. (If you’ve made the recipe before you can also omit the milk and just mix 2 probiotic capsules and 2 Tbs of your previous batch of yogurt).
- Gently pour probiotic mixture back into milk pot and stir to combine.
- Return insert into the Instant Pot. Select yogurt setting and set time to 24 hours.
- The next day, open the lid, stir and transfer to storage container.
- Will keep 2 weeks in the fridge.