Who here feels the weight of negative emotions on them at some point every day? We all do, I know that for a fact and I also know that the current situation is triggering us all in ways that we are not used to.
I’m going to share with you how essential oils can help you bust through 10 common negative emotions and move on to the other side.
You don’t always have to feel this way.
Did you know emotions and our emotional patterning can become an ADDICTION? Every emotion we experience penetrates deep into our cellular structure. We all have our own stories, experiences, beliefs, and emotional turmoil.
No matter the source of our traumas, we all tend to have similar physiological responses. Each trauma we experience causes us to release chemicals (hormones, enzymes, etc) that imprint on cells. Of course, no two people are the same. So I may end up with a tension headache and you may feel it in your stomach.
What this means is that how we internalize our emotions, and how we feel DIS-EASE can also manifest as DISEASE. The good news is, we do not have to accept our negative emotions and can shift our emotions so they do not manifest as illness. I like to think of emotions as “energy-in-motion”, so we can release the negative energy.
How can oils help?
The limbic region (emotional center) of the brain dictates how we interpret intense experiences. This is the “emotional processing center” of the brain. It dictates how we store and release emotional trauma.
The limbic region of the brain is less than an inch from our olfactory nerve. When an essential oil is inhaled the molecules are trapped by the olfactory membranes. Essential oils support all of our body systems and the molecules fit like a puzzle piece into specific receptor sites that trigger the olfactory bulb.
Data is transmitted to the limbic system and messages are sent to all parts of the brain to regulate stress responses. The sense of smell causes our body to REACT before we recognize why. So if we walk into a room and lavender is diffusing we will FEEL calm before we PROCESS why we are calm. Our other senses cause us to recognize first before reacting.
Essential Oils To Shift Occasional Negative Emotions
As a rule, the compounds in essential oils bring balance to the body. Releasing with oils isn’t dramatic. The emotions release step-by-step over time so some emotions release quickly and others may more time. The longer, the older, the more damaging traumas sometimes take 30-60 days. A full red-blood-cell regeneration cycle is somewhere between 100-120 days. I’ve seen/felt dramatic emotional shifts after committing to 60 days of daily use.
I am going to share a few common negative emotions and good oils to help release them and where to apply (although you can apply or just inhale the oils and still receive the benefit).
10 Common Negative Emotions
- Anger— Purification oil blend applied over the liver (under right rib-cage). I have been having my teenager diffuse this one in his room to help keep his emotions balanced.
- Grief— Joy oil blend over the heart. The opposite emotion of grief is happiness.
- Resentment— Lemongrass applied over hepatic duct (under right rib cage again). Resentment is a very toxic emotion and is typically directed at someone else, however ultimately hurting only the person carrying the resentment.
- Fear— My favorite oil blend for fear is Valor. Valor is a great oil to provide emotional balance and feelings of courage. I mention a book below that even shares essential oils for specific fears.
- Failure— Peppermint is great applied over the collarbone to release feelings of failure.
- Overwhelm— Envision essential oil blend is a great oil for giving you clear vision and releasing feelings of overwhelm. A confused mind is usually unable to make clear decisions and generally stops in its tracks which can prevent you from making positive steps forward.
- Guilt— I know all of us sometimes feel guilty. Humans tend to take on guilt when setting boundaries or saying no to others and some of us hold on to guilt over our past. The oil blend Clarity works wonders to release guilt. I like to apply this one on the left lower ribs.
- Exhaustion— Have you ever felt emotionally exhausted? Do you feel all the feelings? The essential oil blend PanAway works wonders to release occasional emotional exhaustion and I love applying it over my lower back/sacral area.
- Sadness— Lemon essential oil can quickly change a sad mood. The sinus body alarm point is a great place to apply and that is located in the middle of the forehead between the eyes.
- Occasional Depression— The oil blend Peace & Calming is wonderful for shifting occasional depression, it is nice to apply it on the occipital bone (the bone on the back of your head behind ears).
When applying an essential oil to release occasional negative emotions, using an affirmation can help. I often use the book Releasing Emotional Patterns with Essential Oils by Carolyn Mein and the book is a very comprehensive guide. It shares oils to use for certain emotions, specific emotional points, a how-to guide for muscle testing, and affirmations for quickly shifting emotional patterns.
Want to learn more?
I am not a medical professional and I want to reiterate that if any of your emotional difficulties are chronic, please see a professional. If learning more about this fascinates you the book is a wonderful tool. If you haven’t started with essential oils, understand how to get them for 24% off retail.